HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Install System Reporter with SQL server
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:19 am 

Hi!
I'm installing system reporter with SQL server, I have one instance in SQL cluster server for System Reporter. The authentication is SQL and Windows. I created a DB named inservstats and two SQL users: cliuser and webuser. The owner of database is cliuser.
When I test the connection by ODBC works fine, but when I execute the system report install program on the "Enter database user names and passwords for two users" appears this error:
"Database parameters are invalid for the Sample and policy change user"

I think it's problem of SQL but i don't have knowledges about SQL, and is my first system reporter installation ins this environment.

If anyone can help, I would appreciate

Post subject: Re: Install System Reporter with SQL server
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:58 am 

my advice... dont use MS SQL ;) its a bit rubbish for System Reporter. Use mySQL instead, it will be better.

Have you followed the guide properly (and btw the usernames do not have to be cliuser and webuser!)

The ODBC setup needs to be the 32bit one (in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe) not the default one.

The SQL users logins need to use SQL Server authentication, not Windows. You can see this in the SQL Server Management studio
And actually enter the values on the SR install page, dont take the prefilled fields.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:51 pm 

For others encountering this same problem the issue is the ODBC connection.

After selecting "Microsoft Sql Server", the Mssql DSN string needs to match the name used for the ODBC "User DSN".

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:28 am 

Trust us do NOT use MS SQL, use the MySQl that they recommend, we used MS SQL and after a few months SR would not work right. HP did everyone a disservice by supporting DBs that don't work with SR. SR is a great product, is very picky on how it works with the DB, you will think everything is great, but a few months later your reports will stop working and you will struggle to figure out why. We built a purpose built VM for SR that has CLI, MMC and SR with MySQL and it has worked great since we went to that from the MS SQL model.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:13 pm 

We're using MS SQL 2008R2 and have been for over a year now with SR. Haven't had any issues with it at all. I recently changed the server SR was running on and installed it on Server 2012 and everything was smooth as far as hooking back up to SQL and continuing on (except for having to get the SQL Studio bits installed to the new server for the ODBC connection to get set up). Maybe it's the small size of my environment? I only have 4 3PAR's to monitor.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:38 am 

My understanding is since AO was moved off SR in 3.1.2 and into the controllers SQL is probably an acceptable option now. The issues with 3.1.1 and prior was if you ran AO then SR was doing all that AO related data collections and such would bog SQL down. That is what forced us to move off SQL and back to mySQL for SR. We have since left it on mySQL since it is free and already set up. Also if you talk to any of the 3par experts on SR they will tend to tell you that for best SR performance use mySQL as it was written to that originally. If you have it already on SQL and are 3.1.2 or higher then stay there, if you are 3.1.1 and prior and use AO get on mySQL.