HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: VMware vVol configuration showing 0 Bytes and 'Inactive'
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:46 am 

hi
I've been setting up VMware vVols on a couple of 3pars and one has worked fine but the other hasn't. The OS is 3.2.2 MU4 and the ESXi is 6.5
These are two different 3Pars in different Datacentres each with their own VMware environment and vCenter servers
I've followed step by step everything from the config guide and initially I thought it was ok - I created the certificate (server based) enabled the vasa created the storage container and then registered the 3pars in vCentre - and created the vVol datastore which all worked ok. I hadn't yet created the vmware storage policy.
I ran through the same process on the other 3Par and it completed all ok
I then noticed that the vVol datastore on the first 3Par was showing 0 bytes whereas on the second 3Par it was showing the size of >80TB (the capacity of the 3Par). I then also noticed that the 'Protocol Endpoint' page in vCentre was showing 'This list is empty' on the suspect 3Par whereas on the good 3Par it was returning information about the storage array etc

So there is clearly something wrong with the set up on one of the arrays but I'm not sure how to troubleshoot it. I suspect it's a PE communication issue but I have done everything to try to reapply the config - removed the vVol datastore, Storage Container and even re-registered the vasa provider but it always comes back the same (no PE details and showing 0 bytes for the vVol datastore)

Does anyone have any ideas as to what to try next or has anyone seen this issue before?

thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: VMware vVol configuration showing 0 Bytes and 'Inactive'
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:50 am 

Got this sorted :D

Checked in the vvold.log and saw it was failing due to the SSL certificate name mismatch. I removed the storage provider from vcentre and the certificate on the 3par. Recreated the certificate (making sure I didn't have any typo's) and re-added the storage provider back into vCentre.

All now happy and showing the correct capacity.....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:07 pm 

KeirL wrote:
Got this sorted :D

Checked in the vvold.log and saw it was failing due to the SSL certificate name mismatch. I removed the storage provider from vcentre and the certificate on the 3par. Recreated the certificate (making sure I didn't have any typo's) and re-added the storage provider back into vCentre.

All now happy and showing the correct capacity.....

KeirL
Thank you so much ive been banging my head for days with this issue. Had the same issue with 0 bytes. Soon as i added into DNS the CN of the cert and re-registered it into VC, Bingo!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:01 pm 

HI

I will try to implement and use the VVOL in our envinorment can you help on below queries .

Can you help me to check is the best practice to use the VVOLs in 3PAR ?

From V-center level showing storage space total 3PAR capacity or CPG capacity ?

where can VVOLS take the capacity is CPG level ?

Shall we use existing CPG’s for VVOLs or need to create new CPG for use the VVOLs?

Can we control/restrict the storage space in 3PAR level once we implement the VVOL ?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:31 pm 

where can i find out the vvold.log in 3par or vsphere ?

Please share the path location .

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:51 pm 

Hi

I have a very similar problem with the VVOL coming up with 0 and the PE screen empty, but here's the difference:

I have one 3par Array and already have the Storage Container configured and the VVOL mounted to 7 hosts with them hosting VMs on the 3par as VVOLs.

I am trying to now mount the VVOL in vCenter to addtional hosts, and this is where the VVOL comes up with 0 space and the PE on the additional hosts is empty.

If I check from the cli, the additional hosts can see the PE. These are all in the same C7000 chassis, following the same Server Profile Template with the same network settings and firmware versions.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Phillip