HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: 3PAR OS 3.3.1 MU1 is released
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:11 am 

aaaaaand the link doesnt work again

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:28 am 

Darking wrote:

Yeah we were planned to upgrade this weekend but I'm going to decline. Per the last response I got it looks like a NOPE. Metadata issues on the new code still. Sure seems like 3.3.1 isn't fully baked...

"SUPPORT COMMUNICATION - CUSTOMER BULLETIN
Document ID: a00026416en_us
Version: 1
Bulletin: HPE 3PAR StoreServ May Report SD Metadata Inconsistent State Can Occur on Compressed Volumes
NOTICE: The information in this document, including products and software versions, is current as of the Release Date. This document is subject to change without notice.
Release Date: 2017-09-15
Last Updated: 2017-09-15
DESCRIPTION
For systems running any version of HPE 3PAR OS 3.3.1 that have Compression or Dedup+Compression (DECO) volumes, there is a small chance of an issue occurring that can cause a Compression or DECO volume to be in a metadata inconsistent state. If this occurs, an alert is generated with the message showing the impacted volume and "Failed (SD Meta inconsistent)." For systems connected to HPE Remote Support, a case will be created, and you will be contacted for remediation. If you are not connected to Remote Support, contact HPE support so that a case may be created. For all reported cases of this event, HPE has repaired the metadata, and there have been no lasting effects on user data.

Until a permanent resolution is installed on the system, HPE advises NOT to create any Compression or DECO volumes.

For answers to any questions you may have, contact your HPE Services representative.

SCOPE
All HPE 3PAR StoreServ systems running HPE 3PAR OS versions 3.3.1-EGA or 3.3.1-MU1 with Compression or Dedup+Compression (DECO) volumes containing data are affected by this issue.

RESOLUTION
This issue will be resolved in an upcoming HPE 3PAR OS Maintenance update or patch.

WORKAROUND

When HPE has the case for the "SD Meta inconsistent" issue, HPE support engineering will work with you to take action to repair the inconsistent metadata.

"

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:13 am 

storsnapper wrote:
Darking wrote:

Yeah we were planned to upgrade this weekend but I'm going to decline. Per the last response I got it looks like a NOPE. Metadata issues on the new code still. Sure seems like 3.3.1 isn't fully baked...

"SUPPORT COMMUNICATION - CUSTOMER BULLETIN
Version: 1
Bulletin: HPE 3PAR StoreServ May Report SD Metadata Inconsistent State Can Occur on Compressed Volumes
NOTICE: The information in this document, including products and software versions, is current as of the Release Date. This document is subject to change without notice.
Release Date: 2017-09-15
Last Updated: 2017-09-15
DESCRIPTION
For systems running any version of HPE 3PAR OS 3.3.1 that have Compression or Dedup+Compression (DECO) volumes, there is a small chance of an issue occurring that can cause a Compression or DECO volume to be in a metadata inconsistent state. If this occurs, an alert is generated with the message showing the impacted volume and "Failed (SD Meta inconsistent)." For systems connected to HPE Remote Support, a case will be created, and you will be contacted for remediation. If you are not connected to Remote Support, contact HPE support so that a case may be created. For all reported cases of this event, HPE has repaired the metadata, and there have been no lasting effects on user data.

Until a permanent resolution is installed on the system, HPE advises NOT to create any Compression or DECO volumes.

For answers to any questions you may have, contact your HPE Services representative.

SCOPE
All HPE 3PAR StoreServ systems running HPE 3PAR OS versions 3.3.1-EGA or 3.3.1-MU1 with Compression or Dedup+Compression (DECO) volumes containing data are affected by this issue.

RESOLUTION
This issue will be resolved in an upcoming HPE 3PAR OS Maintenance update or patch.

WORKAROUND

When HPE has the case for the "SD Meta inconsistent" issue, HPE support engineering will work with you to take action to repair the inconsistent metadata.

"

Could you please tell me were you found this information. If this is true than this is very disturbing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:47 pm 

I got it directly from the support engineer who was supposed to upgrade the 2nd array. I have pushed it back another 2 weeks pending update of the hot fix.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:03 am 

http://h20566.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-a00026416en_us&hprpt_id=HPGL_ALERTS_1982277&jumpid=em_alerts_us-us_Sep17_xbu_all_all_1249691_1982277_Storage_critical__/

I receved it in a Support Alert mail. In addition to the bulletin link there is a description:

Description: For systems running any version of HPE 3PAR OS 3.3.1 that have Compression or Dedup+Compression (DECO) volumes, there is a small chance of an issue occurring that can cause a Compression or DECO volume to be in a metadata inconsistent state. If this occurs, an alert is generated with the message showing the impacted volume and "Failed (SD Meta inconsistent)." For systems connected to HPE Remote Support, a case will be created, and you will be contacted for remediation. If you are not connected to Remote Support, contact HPE support so that a case may be created. For all reported cases of this event, HPE has repaired the metadata, and there have been no lasting effects on user data.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:41 am 

Our scheduled upgrade to 3.3.1 is canceled because upgrade to 3.3.1 is now hold ...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:24 am 

Morbid wrote:
Our scheduled upgrade to 3.3.1 is canceled because upgrade to 3.3.1 is now hold ...

Yes, if you are using compression on any volumes we are now back in the holding pattern awaiting hotfix.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:32 pm 

Argh, we just upgraded two arrays less than two weeks ago and were told things were solid. Now I read this and it adds to the fact it broke our RMC 4.0 environment completely.... Man I am so glad we are allowed to purchase non-HPE hardware now!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:13 am 

The problem with this alert is there is limited information provided around the circumstances required to encounter the issue. I suspect given the size and complexity of the install base they have taken a safety first approach, hopefully with the issue being addressed relatively quickly via a patch.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:13 am 

Patch 08 and 09 for 3.3.1 MU1 are released! But I cannot find the release notes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 19  Next