HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Availability Setting - Question
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:22 pm 

Hi

We have 4 disk sehlves and we put 4 NL (SATA) magazine. I assun=med we can have CAGE level protection and when we create CPG with cage level protection it shows Availibility Cage. As soon as you create a LUN or Set this CPG as Copy Space the Availibility goes to PORT.

I tried a few things such as removing all Copy Space, deleteting LUns and create a RAID 1 CPG etc.

HP seem to indicate this is a feature and PORT availibility is BEtter than CAGE.
Can someone explain this I want cage level availibility. is port really better than cage? and what it means

InForm 3.11 and it is V800

Mnay THANKS
Nagaraj

Post subject: Re: Availability Setting - Question
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:04 am 

Having had many long conversations with HP on this my understanding is that there is a 'feature' (bug) in later IMC versions that overwrites the Cage setting when ever you edit/create a CPG with Port. From what they've explained on a T/V class (because the trays aren't chained) Port=Cage (mostly) so not to worry...
I got lots of blank virtual stares and repeats of the Port is better then Cage or Port=Cage when I pointed out that we also run a F class were the trays are chained so Port is not the same as Cage for us.
The trick is to use the CLI to create your CPGs and avoid saving any changes to them in IMC, you should then actually get Cage when you write data to the VV in that CPG.
I've yet to get to the bottom of why this 'feature' was introduced and why it's still there after I'm sure plenty of others pointing it out to them. From what I gather there might be a new version IMC released in November with 3.1.1mu3, I look forward to testing this again at that point. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:52 am 
Site Admin

Some systems allow daisy chaining shelves, like the F series. In which case, PORT availability is better than CAGE availability and an important distinction. On systems where you only have 1 cage per port, they have the same meaning, but port is higher ranking on the food chain and get reported as such.

Port > Cage > Magazine

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:09 pm 

Same here on V400 as well on MUI 3.1.1 (MU1)