HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: RAID Level for V800 (768 disks)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:24 am 

Hi all,

A discussion has been arised within my team regarding what RAID level we should be using for our V800 (768 disks, 672 FC x 600GB, 96 NL x 2TB).

What are you guys using as data protection? I don't really know if setting RAID-6 is really needed.

Our standard configuration is to have only 2 CPG's:

AO_FC
AO_NL

As you can see Adaptative Optimization is enabled for both CPG's. At the moment both are set up for RAID-5.

Any feedback will be really appreciated!

Best,

Jon

Post subject: Re: RAID Level for V800 (768 disks)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:13 pm 

You may want to consider having separate CFGs for your standard non-AO workloads. That way you can tune the appropriate workloads to be managed via AO

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:12 am 
Site Admin

We use a "cage-safe" raid-5 for production and max out the raid 5 set for dev/qa with a "magazine-safe" setting. Knock on wood, we have never had a cage go offline before.

The max set size you can use with "cage-safe" will be will vary with the number of disk shelves you have per controller pair. We have 7 shelves per 2 controllers currently which allows me to do raid5 (6+1) and maintain "cage safe" status.

For dev, I dont recall exactly what the max allowed raid5 set size is, either 8 or 9... whichever we use the highest to conserve a little capacity.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:19 pm 

Thank you guys for the feedback.

I do realize the limitations of our CPG layout, but unfortunately those come from our Storage Engineering Team standards.

I'll continue to do some research on this.

Can you guys share your CPG layout approach?? I'd like to hear more about that. We currently put everything (prod, dev, qa, uat) in the AO_FC and then let AO do the magic of moving stuff to NL (Again, an approach I don't agree with, but unfortunately it is not my call :S).

Thanks once again!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:52 am 

If you plan to only run 2 CPG's and have AO over these two then you might run into a problem in the long run when the data grows.
Running AO on a CPG that’s 200TB+ isn’t good at all because the Compact CPG that’s run after AO has optimized your volume might take some time to complete and you might get the problem where the compact CPG won’t finish before it’s about to optimize again.

But again it all comes down to how much space you allow AO to use on your FC disk vs. NL disk.