HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Peer Motion
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:35 am 

Anyone else here using this software ?

I have run into a few problems but found a workaround thought it would post it.

Make sure that your CPG and VV name are short since the importvv command has a limit on how long it can be.

And if you do a cleanup to then try again the creation of the pd will fail since a pd with the same wwn already exists.

Post subject: Re: Peer Motion
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:41 am 

Christian,

I am consulting and helping my customer to migrate data from several S class to V class arrays. I am finding that there are not many folks using this product. Couple of issues:

Version 1.0 - Has issues with host personas and is a known bug showing that there is an invalid host configuration.
Version 1.2 - Has support for ESX clusters now but if you are running 2.2.4 on the source arrays, forget it. They try to execute a command to get host sets that fail and bombs the script.

So we are waiting to get version 1.1.1 and try this. Hopefully this will work. The customer is a big VM shop but we are not interested in migrating ESX volumes this way.

What version are you running. Have you been successful? What other issues are you seeing? What are you migrating from and to?

John

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:32 am 

Hello Jon :)

Happy to see that I’m not the only one using this tool , great tool but crappy interface :)

I'm currently migration a Commvault Backup Soultions ( Media Agents ) that has it storage located on a T800 and a V800 located at another data center.
So I’m moving the volumes that are still left on the T800 to the V800 , currently I have been using offline migration with peer motion when doing it.

T800 – 2.3.1 ( MU4 )
V800 – 3.1.1

Currently I have Manage to migrate about 50TB of data using this tool without any big problems ( Offline Mode )
And a few live migration on test server booting from the volume that’s being moved and so on.

Only problem I have encountered was when having long names on the volumes and CPG then the importvv command failed so I’m now renaming the volumes and the target CPG to short names ( 4 characters each )
If this happens as stated above you won’t be able to run the Peer motion tool on these volumes again.

To be honest if you are migrating VMware Volumes I wouldn’t use Peer Motion for that task unless you got a lot of RDM’s.

Are there any upgrades for the S class to 2.3.1 or even 3.1.1 ?

Have used version 1.0 and currently I'm using 1.1.1 that I manage to find on the HP site a few weeks back. ( Let me know if you want it )

Going to do a live migration of a production Server next week , will post back how it went :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:29 pm 

We have been testing the Peer Motion script for quite some time now.

While it is a good product, I really prefer EMC´s Open Migrator. Supports MS Clusters and migrations actually take place with little to no downtime.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:50 pm 
Site Admin

jxrojas wrote:
We have been testing the Peer Motion script for quite some time now.

While it is a good product, I really prefer EMC´s Open Migrator. Supports MS Clusters and migrations actually take place with little to no downtime.

And its free!