HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Thin provisioning licensing
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:13 am 

Our F400 is licensed for 40960GB of thin provisioning. I want to know how I can track how much of this license that is utilized and I also would like if there is a hard enforced limit of this license and what happens if the hit the limit? Will no servers be able to write to array or will we just have a limit on deploying new volumes?

Post subject: Re: Thin provisioning licensing
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:44 am 

As i have heard there is no limit on the usage of the licenses.
But you might get a problem with your support if you run over the amount you got license for... :)

But normally if you buy 1 drive you also buy it a thin prov license if you are using it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:53 am 
Site Admin

I haven't located anything that shows or meters TP usage other than manually listing all VVs and filtering it by TPVV. At which point, you can get a total for any of the capacity columns... not sure which flavor applies to the licensing... virtual size, reserved user size, used user size, raw reserved user size. etc etc...

Pure speculation here, I believe the engineers behind the curtain would not implement such a feature in a way that would allow you to move forward and run production on a feature then cripple the system or impact data integrity due to a license issue down the road. I further speculate that the default action would be to send that information in the phone home/autosupport and route that data to the sales side of the house for a sales opportunity.

If there hard limits exist, or will someday exist, then I think it should be mandatory for the vendor to provide functionality that non-disruptively converts a TPVV to a Fully Provisioned volume to free up licensing AFTER a TPVV fills up.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:46 pm 

The TP licenses work in the way that if you have 10TB of TP licenseing in your array, then you can create new TPVV´s as long as the RAW witten data of all yout TPVV's does not exceed the TP license volume.

Once you exceed the license limit, you will not be able to create new TPVV´s.

The one that already exists will continue to function normally (i.e. continue to fill upp with data beyond the TP license limit and to the arrays actual installed capacity).