HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Official SSMC Customer Feedback
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 12:45 pm 

Hello,

I've been testing the SSMC v2.1 in our lab for a few days and would like to provide some suggestions and some requests.

1) In the scheduled report, the from email address is "sr@ssmc.com". Is there a way to edit the sender email address for scheduled reports? Also, will there be an option to add SMTP authentication?

2) For threshold alerts, I would like the option to send an email.

3) When viewing a virtual copy, the main "overview" page does not state if the virtual copy is RO or RW. I have to click "settings" to see if the virtual copy is RO or RW. I would like to see RO or RW on either the "overview" page, or next to the virtual copy name. I liked the padlock icon used in the IMC for RO as it was a quick way to identify the RO virtual copy.

4) A way to check for the latest SSMC version via a link, perhaps in "?" help section.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:09 pm 

storageguy138 wrote:
Hello,

1) In the scheduled report, the from email address is "sr@ssmc.com". Is there a way to edit the sender email address for scheduled reports? Also, will there be an option to add SMTP authentication?

2) For threshold alerts, I would like the option to send an email.

3) When viewing a virtual copy, the main "overview" page does not state if the virtual copy is RO or RW. I have to click "settings" to see if the virtual copy is RO or RW. I would like to see RO or RW on either the "overview" page, or next to the virtual copy name. I liked the padlock icon used in the IMC for RO as it was a quick way to identify the RO virtual copy.

4) A way to check for the latest SSMC version via a link, perhaps in "?" help section.
Thank you!

Thanks for taking the time.

- We will add the ability to change the from address, not sure if we can get in in 2.2 yet, same for the authentication.

- We have in plan to be able to send alert via email directly from SSMC, in the meanwhile you can reply on the SP local notifictions.

- looking at the snap, panel and agree it's a good improvement.

- yes in plan :)

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 3:00 am 

Both "Virtual Volumes" and "Virtual Volume Sets" left pane (if maximized to show extra info in the left pane directly) say "Exported to 0" when exported to a host set.

The VV-Set- Part of SSMC does not show the VV-set-members (or host-set-members where VV-set is exported to), it changes to VV- or host-part if you want to see them (and click the provided link to members). IMC shows VVs (even if not exported) and hosts in VV-set-part , this is very useful! The part where it says "Virtual Volume Set members" - "Set members" "x virtual volumes" contains a lot of white space --> please put list of members there! Same with the host set it's exportet to - there is enough space for a list of members in the reserved field.

The same applies to the "Host Sets" part of ssmc, lots of white space and a link that takes you straight to the hosts-part. No members shown directly in host-sets.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 4:04 am 

...and one more thing I stumbled on:

SSMC marks some hosts as "degraded", because "Host is not visible on partner port".

This (IMHO wrong) request to have a host zoned to a port's partner port for "Persistent Ports" to work once was even included in the documentation, but was removed shortly after as far as I know.

Or is there something else behind this? IMC doesn't care at all about this on hosts-side.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 5:52 am 

This was annoying in IMC and more so in SSMC, I can select a system and a RC Group and stop it and the RC Group will stop. But if I try and start it I have to make sure both source and destination systems are selected. As long as the source system is selected why do I need to select the destination? Clearly the system knows what the destination system is as it is part of the RC Group configuration.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 5:55 am 

When viewing VVs under actions there is no "Create Similar" like in IMC, that was very useful. I would add that there should be something like "create similar" that pre-fills everything including the name, often we are adding another volume that will have the same name with a small difference in prefeix of suffix, but have to retype it all in again.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 6:05 am 

I know I am a broken record on this, but the extra clicking to do daily tasks is frustrating. Here is an example, why when creating a volume do I have to click the "advanced settings" button to see the Copy CPG,. This is a problem, because some people in a rush will forget to click it and not see that the pre-selected Copy CPG is not the one you likely want. Also the "Copy CPG" and "Default CPG" under advanced settings is very confusing as it seems to get pre-filled with the same CPG as the User CPG, IMC used to leave Copy CPG blank which would be my preferred behavior especially if you are not going to show the Copy CPG by default.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 6:27 am 

The server guys just asked to sync our records on which vvs are mirrored and which are not. Sure, this should always be clear to everybody involved, but we had some concept-changes here in the last weeks. And it's better to check twice...

No problem in imc (Provisioning - Virtual Volumes - Add Column "RC Status").

Absolutely no idea how to do this in ssmc - I can't find the place / category where I can see the rc status of more than just the one VV that ist selected/highlighted. Is there a way to see this?

Edit: "RC Group" --> "RC Status"

Last edited by apol on Wed May 13, 2015 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 6:58 am 

Do I really need to check a box absolving HP of my own stupidity? Is it not enough to put up the warning and have the Yes, Unexport or Cancel option?

Attachments:
Confirmation.png
Confirmation.png [ 63.13 KiB | Viewed 22044 times ]
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 3:21 pm 

apol wrote:
Both "Virtual Volumes" and "Virtual Volume Sets" left pane (if maximized to show extra info in the left pane directly) say "Exported to 0" when exported to a host set.

The VV-Set- Part of SSMC does not show the VV-set-members (or host-set-members where VV-set is exported to), it changes to VV- or host-part if you want to see them (and click the provided link to members). IMC shows VVs (even if not exported) and hosts in VV-set-part , this is very useful! The part where it says "Virtual Volume Set members" - "Set members" "x virtual volumes" contains a lot of white space --> please put list of members there! Same with the host set it's exportet to - there is enough space for a list of members in the reserved field.

The same applies to the "Host Sets" part of ssmc, lots of white space and a link that takes you straight to the hosts-part. No members shown directly in host-sets.

This has created some confusion and is being re-disigned for 2.2 so it's consistent no matter what you look at.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 25  Next