HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Official SSMC Customer Feedback
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:58 pm 

3PAR User Group,

Hewlett Packard Enterprise is pleased to announce the availability of HPE 3PAR StoreServ Management Console (SSMC) 2.4. The software is available for download on the HPE Software Depot. HPE 3PAR SSMC 2.4 documentation is available on the HPE Enterprise Information Library.

What is included in SSMC 2.4:

General:
  • Quality has been a focus area in this release. Numerous issues have been addressed, including the Server Error 500 messages and the GUI/server disconnect messages that some users were seeing when processing large amounts of data.
  • A new repository has been created containing how-to videos for SSMC. The link to the videos is here.

File Persona:
  • Supports configuring route settings for File Services using the advanced options available on the Configure File Persona dialog.
  • The Edit Protocol Settings dialog includes SMB settings for those storage systems that support SMB settings.
  • Capability to View and modify Security settings from both the Create File Store dialog and the Edit File Store dialog.

System reporter:
  • Select and report on virtual volumes using the Multiple Components using Real Time Performance Statistics template.
  • Use the new Physical Drive - Real Time Total IOPs Statistics template to generate real-time bar graph reports showing total IOPs for physical drives.
  • Removed the Physical Drive - Real Time Bar Performance Statistics report template.

For additional details, please refer to the SSMC 2.4 Release Notes. Thanks for all of your feedback so far on SSMC and we look forward to hearing how you like this new version.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:01 am 

Hi,

I sometimes notice that deleted objects do not disappear from SSMC while they are surely gone from CLI.

For example: I stopped and delete a Remote Copy group for test purpose.
When the RC group is deleted, the complementary RC Volumes Sets are also deleted on both Inservs.
However, one of the RC Volumes Sets kept visible from SSMC, while is was gone when checking from the CLI on the 'affected' system.

I refreshed the browser page, logged out an back in again ... did not matter.

Only after restarting the SSMC service it was gone.

Anyone same experiences ?

Regards,
Martijn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:34 pm 

@mkaaden - try SSMC 2.4. I just tried it in the lab and the vv sets were both removed in the GUI after I removed the RC Group. This version handles state change events differently than previous SSMC versions. Please let me know via PM if you still see this issue with version 2.4.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:46 am 

@wbbouldin,

The scenario I described was run with SSMC 2.4
I first noticed this behavior on 2.3, never with 2.2
My guess is that the problem is random and not always reproducible.

Regards,
Martijn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:36 am 

@mkaaden, Thanks for confirming the version. I'll reach out to you privately to get this resolved.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:08 am 

Hi,

still trying to get used to ssmc. The new version seems snappier than 2.3.

- Still no way to see the members of a host set without leaving the host sets - section

- We were running low on sas-space on one of our boxes. ESX-admins scheduled unmaps, and we wanted to see the outcome afterwards. I tried. I really did. But I finally had to open IMC to see "Reserved Space" and "Used Space" side by side, the sum at the bottom of the column being a nice extra... Now I know I have to wait some days for the 3PAR to reclaim 23TB, before I can compactcpg them back to the system wide freespace.

- When I click the littel gray triangle to expand the right panel in any section, I want to EXPAND that section. I should be big. And it should NOT change it's size with every selection I do in the selector box right nex to that triangle! As a user, I don't expect the gui of an application I use to change it's proportions all the time, at least the major separating elements should be fixed as long as I don't change them!

- It would be great if not only mail and recipient adress, but snmp as well was optional for threshold alerts!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:40 am 

@apol - Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts. Here are a few responses...

Quote:
- Still no way to see the members of a host set without leaving the host sets - section
Okay, got it. The link navigates to a list of the hosts in the host set so you can see the details of these hosts. However, I see your point that it would help to see the host names when viewing the host set. We'll see what we can do to improve this.

Quote:
But I finally had to open IMC to see "Reserved Space" and "Used Space" side by side, the sum at the bottom of the column being a nice extra.
Yes, I agree that we need to improve the tables. They should be customizable so you can reorder the columns, add and remove columns, and filter on the contents. The team is working on it.

Quote:
When I click the littel gray triangle to expand the right panel in any section, I want to EXPAND that section. I should be big. And it should NOT change it's size with every selection I do in the selector box right nex to that triangle!
The idea is to adapt the size of the table to the available space given the table contents while continuing to show as much of the details of the selected object. Would it be better to fully expand the table so it takes the entire screen and hides the details? Or would you prefer that the table just expand and stay fixed regardless of the number of columns and the contents of the columns? This is good timing because we're working on this area right now and really appreciate your feedback.

Quote:
It would be great if not only mail and recipient adress, but snmp as well was optional for threshold alerts!
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into that and see what we can do. [Update: The SNMP folks don't have this on their roadmap but appreciate the suggestion. If anyone else would like to see this feature, please let me know so we can move it up the priority stack.]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:51 am 

@wbbouldin: First of all, sorry for my error - "When I click the littel gray triangle to expand the right panel in any section,...": I of course mean the LEFT panel.

To Host Sets: As there is a Host sets - section in ssmc, I expect it to contain the members. Same for volume sets of course! Or you could drop the Sets-Sections, and include sets in the Hosts- and Volumes-Sections. Just add "set:" right before the name, like so many cli commands expect it. Personally I would prefer the sets-sections to stay, and contain more information. In IMC, you can not only see the members of the host set, but also the members of the volume set exported to it!

To GUI proportions: As you wrote, you're working on improving the tables. Isn't that a opportunity to fix the GUI proportions-thing with it? It's completely ok when proportions change when I change from one section to another. But within, let's say the Volumes-section, proportions should be fixed imho.

SNMP-Traps: It could be a company-special problem here with us, but the people that get the usual snmp-traps ("something broke") are other people that care about load-specific alerts ("more iops than expected"). This sure could be managed in snmp-treatment (which traps are escalated to whom), but with all the resolved-traps flying around as well, and things occasionally changing with new InformOS-releases, we'd probably prefer to disable snmp-traps for threshold-alerts.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:14 am 

One addition to snmp-traps: When splitting targets for standard traps ("something broke") and treshold alerts ("too much iops"), it's a problem that the resolved-trap is always the same message code - one of the two groups of recipients get's resolved-traps without knowing what was resolved.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:53 am 

As threshold-alerts don't just trigger snmp-traps, but are kept as system alerts as well (900 last night, had some problems...), WE DEFINITELY NEED MULTI-SELECT IN THE ALERTS-SECTION OF SSMC!! :x

Is there any impact of having too much alerts open on a 3PAR??

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 25  Next