HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Remote copy and snapshot scheduling questions
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:55 pm 

We are currently using Oneview RMV rc scheduling on 3par, it has worked well for us since finding that it uses windows scheduler, since we are moving to VMware 6 the RMV is not supported and we are currently working with support to get the RMC-V working correctly, in the interim our plan if need be is to use 3par schedules, the way we do remote copies right now we always have 4 snapshots at our DR site for each volume that are about 12 hours apart, RMV does take care of that nicely, now since 3PAR does not seem to have one command to create a snapshot and make a remote copy I will be trying the following,

This will happen at our DR site to create the snapshot, about 10 similar schedules also
createsched "createsv -ro -exp 48h 3P01.5430.@y@@m@@d@@H@@M@ 3P01.5430.low.bal.vol" "0 6,19 * * *" 3P01-5430.Snap

Then this will happen at our main site 5 minutes later, about 10 similar schedules also
createsched "syncrcopy -pat 3P01.5430*" "5 6,19 * * *" 3P01-5430.rcopy

Couple questions, can all schedules be run at the same time at DR and then all schedules be run at the main site at the same time?

Also is there a better command or way to do this?

Thanks for any help,

Post subject: Re: Remote copy and snapshot scheduling questions
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:41 am 

I run some scripts that on our DR array basically snap the entire array (a few hundred volumes) an hour before I trigger RCs on the source side. I do it with some very global parameters so I run one line and numerous volumes snap. On the source side I have a script that will go to vcenter pointed at a cluster then enumerate the datastores and then one datastore at a time it will snap the VM, snaps the array volume then throws the VM snap away. I trugger RC independent of that becasue if you trigger RC while the VM snap is there you are essentially replicating the VM with a snap, not a good idea if you have to bring up hundreds of VMs in DR and will need to clean up those snaps so they don't cause issues. We gave up using all the RM products becasue they were slow and bloated and with the number of VM and volumes we have they would choke and not work.