HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: UpdateVV Script Prompting for Authentication
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:57 pm 

I'm working on editing a script that will accept a parameter for Virtual Volume pattern, take that pattern, export a list of all of the virtual volumes (in this case these are snapshots/virtual copies) with that pattern, and refresh the snapshots.

The script is accepting the parameter and generating/exporting the list of virtual volumes with that specific pattern without a problem, however when it attempts to run updatevv, I'm being prompted for authentication - username and password. I already have an encrypted pwfile in the same directory as the script (as well as in the 3PAR CLI\bin directory) - and I believe that it's working because it's logging in and performing the showvv correctly, however I can't figure out why it seems to ignore the specified pwfile when it attempt to actually refresh the snapshots.

Has anyone run into anything like this before?

Post subject: Re: UpdateVV Script Prompting for Authentication
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:27 pm 
Site Admin

If I recall correctly, updatevv requires that the user executing the command be a local user to the 3par and not a AD/LDAP account AND/OR you may need to check into setuseracl to allow updatevv to work on those VVs.

I am shooting from the hip, its been 2ish years since we set things up for auto snap-refreshes.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:11 am 

I have a local user on the 3par named scripts and the encrypted pwfile has the array info and credentials for that user already set. The showvv portion to export the volumes with a specific volume pattern works without any issue - and the encrypted pwfile works with other scripts without any issues so I know the file itself is good. I've also tried with a known working pwf file with a user that has the super role and I still get prompted.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:26 am 
Site Admin

You have confirmed that authentication (username/password) is working ok, but still need to verify authorization to use updatevv is configured. I suspect your user privileges are not high enough to allow updatevv, so its prompting for new authentication to give you chance to provide a username/pass that has higher permissions. Check your acl setup with showuseracl to verify "scripts" can updatevv on your VVs.

Example - user snapdemo has been granted updatevv rights on all VVs whos name start with VMWARE_DEV_*
Code:
T800 cli% showuseracl
User     Operation Object_Names_or_Patterns
snapdemo updatevv  VMWARE_DEV_*

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:42 am 

The acl shows that is has updatevv * under Object Names or Patters - I'm assuming that means that it has permissions to run against all objects

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:42 pm 
Site Admin

That's my understanding as well.

If the ACL is right, and the credentials work, I am stumped and would be on the phone with HPe support for better or worse.