HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: 3par System Reporter
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:34 pm 

my system reporter was was installed on a couple of VMs by either HP or a contractor. I was present but it was several years ago. As seen in another post of mine, I'm trying to clean up and consolidate some stuff. They installed the system reporter on 2 VM's - 1 for the db and one for the app, but honestly as few reports as I have running on it, I don't see any reason why they need to be on 2 machines.

Is it very difficult to install and get running? From what I recall it wouldn't be too difficult, but was just curious - I suppose I could just install the APP on the DB server and get rid of the app server?

Post subject: Re: 3par System Reporter
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:09 pm 

jwood.mls wrote:
my system reporter was was installed on a couple of VMs by either HP or a contractor. I was present but it was several years ago. As seen in another post of mine, I'm trying to clean up and consolidate some stuff. They installed the system reporter on 2 VM's - 1 for the db and one for the app, but honestly as few reports as I have running on it, I don't see any reason why they need to be on 2 machines.

Is it very difficult to install and get running? From what I recall it wouldn't be too difficult, but was just curious - I suppose I could just install the APP on the DB server and get rid of the app server?

What version of inform OS are you running the 3par? System Reporter functionality has been built in to later code revisions and the standalone is consider EOSL. Might be easier if possible to just upgrade the array and retire the vm's.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:13 pm 

storsnapper wrote:
What version of inform OS are you running the 3par? System Reporter functionality has been built in to later code revisions and the standalone is consider EOSL. Might be easier if possible to just upgrade the array and retire the vm's.

Very good question ... I'm sure we are a bit dated...looks like 3.1.2 (MU3).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:53 pm 

jwood.mls wrote:

Ouch, that was end of support life a few years back and HPE will generally not do online upgrades. On-node system reporter was added with 3.1.2 so not a lot of data being collected with that version.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:51 am 

MammaGutt wrote:
jwood.mls wrote:

Ouch, that was end of support life a few years back and HPE will generally not do online upgrades. On-node system reporter was added with 3.1.2 so not a lot of data being collected with that version.

What does that mean for me exactly? That the system would need to be taken down to be upgraded?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:19 am 

jwood.mls wrote:
MammaGutt wrote:
jwood.mls wrote:

What does that mean for me exactly? That the system would need to be taken down to be upgraded?

Yes, I have an array in similar situation. It will be a fully offline upgrade, no hosts connected and array restarted.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:31 am 

storsnapper wrote:
Yes, I have an array in similar situation. It will be a fully offline upgrade, no hosts connected and array restarted.

For how long? Is that something that HPE support would assist with?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:24 am 

jwood.mls wrote:
storsnapper wrote:

It is usually down for less than an hour, but the upgrade takes more time (service processor, cage fw, disk fw...) and when doing offline you need to shutdown all servers and bring them back online. Upgrade (remote) is included in base warranty and all support contracts.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:46 am 

MammaGutt wrote:
jwood.mls wrote:
storsnapper wrote:

It is usually down for less than an hour, but the upgrade takes more time (service processor, cage fw, disk fw...) and when doing offline you need to shutdown all servers and bring them back online. Upgrade (remote) is included in base warranty and all support contracts.

Is this pretty critical since you said that my release is EOL (as in maybe no support in current state?) Or is it just if i want more features I need to do it?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:40 pm 

EoSL means that support will help restore service in case of issues. You will however might get a disk replacement that require a newer firmware. Same with addons. No new patches, if you have a non-critical error or see something weird you will have to recreate it at a supported firmware level. Basically they will help you "keep the lights on", but nothing more.

I would really consider the upgrade and maintain the firmware online after that. Storage arrays need TLC as all other infrastructure.