HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: stopping remote copy
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:38 am 

Hi,

While trying to stop remote copy on a group ( while its being syncronised) I get 'some of the volumes in the group are still synchronising their snapshots on the secondary site may get promoted'

I realize the best thing to do is wait for syncronisation to complete but the periodic sync is set to 30 min and sync starts as soon as it completes the last cycle.

My question is does 'snapshots on the secondary site may get promoted ' mean the snapshot data may get written to the parent volume or does it mean something worst?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: stopping remote copy
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:16 am 

If you stop a RC Group while it is syncing any volume sin that group that have finished syncing will stay up to date. Any volumes that have not completed will have their base volumes rolled back to the pre-sync snap. If you actually fail over the RC group than if any volumes were syncing and did not complete then all volumes in the RC group will roll back.

Depending on the size of the rollback you will not be able to restart that RC group sync until the roll back on the destination side is done. You will see the task in the IMC as they are rolling back and will kmow when complete.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:30 am 

Hi, Thanks for the detailed response.

'Any volumes that have not completed will have their base volumes rolled back' does this apply to the destination volumes only? If so this is no a big deal since the next time a sync occurs will allow the source (and up-to-date) block data to re-seed right ?

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:25 am 

Yes, destination volumes.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:37 pm 

Hello, I am new to 3PAR

I have a RC group and one volume is stuck at 0%. If I stop the RC group, will this affect the source volume since it warned me about the destination volume will get promoted.

Many Thanks