HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Export VV to Multiple Hosts
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:14 pm 

We're having to work on a system that someone else configured (who's long gone now). The existing VV is exported to multiple hosts. When I created another VV and attempted to export it to the same list of hosts, I got a nasty error message:

"Virtual Volume LUN02_Extension will be exported to more than one host. Unless this volume is being exported to a clustered environment, creation of multiple exports could lead to data corruption. To avoid accidental creation of multiple exports, consider setting the virtual volume policy to restrict export to a single host, or consider using host set to signify a clustered host environment. Do you wish to continue?"

There are no existing host sets, so I don't know how the previous person did this. Does anyone know how to do this?

Post subject: Re: Export VV to Multiple Hosts
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:51 pm 

What OS and is it clustered?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:46 pm 

First of all you would not want to export to the same hosts again, if you are wanting to present the same VV to another host it must be clustered and or a ESX Host (VM) environment, Inform is just warning you of what will happen by exporting or present the VV to multiple hosts if not clustered.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:21 pm 
Site Admin

First important question is what rotorhead1 asked, need to make sure this list of hosts are all capable of sharing the LUN... typically clusters... ESX VMFS is a clustered file system.

If you are sure that the hosts you are exporting to are A-OK with sharing the lun (because they are clustered, or use some form of clustered file system), you can ignore the warning.

Note, some clusters may require that the LUN# be the same across all nodes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:31 pm 

Thanks for the replies. After doing more research, the hosts were on vmware. We also got more clarification on the requirements which was to create a new virtual volume and present it to the same set of hosts. Since we weren't adding to an existing one, it seemed logical that we could ignore the warning. The newly created virtual volume was then used to move vmware servers that were running out of space - all is well now.