HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Adaptive Optimization
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:29 am 

V400 3PAR
Inform v3.1.2
IMC 4.3

We have AO licence, I have configured a policy for 3 CPGs and ticked the box for "Analyze Only" as I only want it to monitor at this point.

If I go to - Performance and Reports - New Report - and select "AO Configuration" it pops up a graph. Can anyone explain what this means (see screen dump attached). It has only been running for 4 hrs...just interested at this point.

Is there anywhere that I can see what it might move around between CPGs?
The GUI for AO seems really basic...

Thanks

Attachments:
AO.docx [78.76 KiB]
Downloaded 1672 times
 Post subject: Re: Adaptive Optimization
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:57 pm 

The left graph shows where your data is located, basically you have a bunch of stale data on both FC R5 and NL R6. The left graph shows you where your IOPS are being serviced, you have a fairly significant chunk of IOPS being serviced by NL disks at the moment (those to the right side of the graph are hotter). Given those graphs I would expect that AO will move about 4.2TB of cold data down from FC R5 to NL and move a handful of hot blocks up from NL to FC R5 and possibly a few from those right two or three columns up to FC R10. If you want to see exactly what it will do on the first run you can run AO from the command line with -analyzeonly and it will give you exactly which regions will be moved from where to where and the total amount of data moved. Be aware that there is a limit to how much data AO will move at a time so you'll probably only see a percentage of the total stale data that will be moved down during that first analyze.