HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: SCSI Unmap on Phys Mode RDM's?
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:17 am 

Is it possible to perform SCSI unmap agasint a 3PAR LUN in VMware assigned setup in Physical Compatibility Mode? We use 3PAR Recovery Manager for Exchange, and Physical compatibility mode was setup for this to function.

I've done vmfs unmap -u on VMFS Datastores successfully, but cannot locate how to reclaim dead space on a 3PAR RDM in VMware.

Let me follow by saying that SDelete used to work back when we were on ESXi 4.1 and 3PAR InForm 2.3.1, but now that we've upgraded to ESXi 5.1 and 5.5 with InForm 3.1.2 (MU1), the SDelete tool inside the Guest VM no longer reclaims space at all. Not sure what's going on there.

Post subject: Re: SCSI Unmap on Phys Mode RDM's?
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:40 pm 

Hmmm, never tried this, but how I think it should work in my head is that there no point in running the UNMAP command in VMware as an drum is simply a pointer file, nothing more so it's only taking up kb on the vmfs datastore, especially with physical mode, VMware has no control over it at all, it's simply a facilitator to pass it through to the vm.

I can see sdelete working, have you tried some different switches on the command, isn't there a -c and -z?

I think it's the -c option you need....possibly....I always get confused between the two, especially as you would think -z stands for zero, but it think it's the other way around.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:58 am 

The reclaim process for "reserved" space has changed. Used space is still reclaim quite quickly but reserved space on 3.1.2 could take some days to be reclaimed...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:30 am 

Running a t10 unmap today on a p mode rdm unfortunately doesn't work in vmware (this is the one area that I think hyper-v has vmware by the balls, because it does work on a vhdx).

The reason is that while it is true that the pRDM is simply a pointer file, it is a pointer file attached to the vmware SCSI controller, so it's not exactly the same thing.

Supposedly I have heard that vmware is working on this now that red hat and windows support t10 unmap.

Sdelete should work. I've used it inside vms against my 3.1.2 7200's many times

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:21 am 

Beyond the array there is an OS dependency, what is the guest OS and filesystem used?