3PAR Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Tune VV related to AO based LUN
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:31 am 

Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:05 pm
Posts: 4
Hi All,

Nice to meet you all and happy to find a forum dedicated for 3PAR. As am new to this 3PAR,bear with me for silly questions.

In our environment we have one 7400 series 3PAR arrays in each DC.

Now an application running on a LUN which is part of Balanced AO is giving poor performance. So we have decided to move it to full SSD drives. The LUN is also replicated LUN.

The data by default goes to FC10K and as per the data access it goes to NL or SSD in the AO.

Now what precuations , I have to take while running tunevv for moving this AO based LUN to fully SSD based LUN.

As default data goes to FC10K, so we need to stop AO and replication and then move FC10K to SSD based CPG? Is it right? If someone can help me on the steps to be followed , it would be greatful


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Tune VV related to AO based LUN
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:57 am 

Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:11 pm
Posts: 510
Just tune the volume to a SSD CPG which isn't a part of any AO config. No need to stop replication for a simple tunevv.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Tune VV related to AO based LUN
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:07 pm 

Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:01 am
Posts: 382
Usually on a 3 tiers array i create 2 or 3 AO configurations.
One global NL/FC/SSD, one dedicated usually to databases running between FC and NL and sometimes a third one NL/FC for mail or file servers stuff.

The poor latencies on your vlun could also come from synchronous replication.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Tune VV related to AO based LUN
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:21 pm 

Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:05 pm
Posts: 4
MammaGutt wrote:
Just tune the volume to a SSD CPG which isn't a part of any AO config. No need to stop replication for a simple tunevv.


Thank you for the update MammaGutt, much appreciated.

MammaGut, Does AO need to be stopped? AO is scheduled to run at night and tunevv we will be running at morning.

Also as i mentioned now major chunk of data is residing on default CPG FC10K and very less data are there on SSD and NL.

So running tunevv on only FC10K to the SSD CPG drive will be enough? My confusion here is that there is some data residing on SSD and NL as well which are moved to them as part of AO


Last edited by nishanth on Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Tune VV related to AO based LUN
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:23 pm 

Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:05 pm
Posts: 4
RitonLaBevue wrote:
Usually on a 3 tiers array i create 2 or 3 AO configurations.
One global NL/FC/SSD, one dedicated usually to databases running between FC and NL and sometimes a third one NL/FC for mail or file servers stuff.

The poor latencies on your vlun could also come from synchronous replication.


Yes we are having synchronous replication and also we have all 3 default AO's in place.

Cost , Balanced and Performance as well

Thank you RitonBevue, for responding to my query.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Tune VV related to AO based LUN
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:07 am 

Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:11 pm
Posts: 510
nishanth wrote:
MammaGutt wrote:
Just tune the volume to a SSD CPG which isn't a part of any AO config. No need to stop replication for a simple tunevv.


Thank you for the update MammaGutt, much appreciated.

MammaGut, Does AO need to be stopped? AO is scheduled to run at night and tunevv we will be running at morning.

Also as i mentioned now major chunk of data is residing on default CPG FC10K and very less data are there on SSD and NL.

So running tunevv on only FC10K to the SSD CPG drive will be enough? My confusion here is that there is some data residing on SSD and NL as well which are moved to them as part of AO

No need to worry about AO.
No need to worry about where the blocks are today, you are moving everything with tunevv. You are not running tumevv on the FC10K CPG but the volume.

Just remember that if you move it to a SSD CPG which is a part of any AO config AO will start moving data down on first run, so remember to tune to a CPG which isn't a part of any AO config if you want the entire volume to permanently stay in the SSD tier.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Tune VV related to AO based LUN
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:10 am 

Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:05 pm
Posts: 4
Thank you very much MammaGutt, I was thinking from the CPG level. Now got it, that we are running tunevv at VV level and not from CPG level. That was confusing me for a while.

Now all ok, Thankyou again.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Tune VV related to AO based LUN
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:36 am 

Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:50 am
Posts: 14
Hi to all,
We are planning to compress Replicated VV's by tunevv. Must one not stop the replication for the VV's ? Or is the above discussion in another context.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Tune VV related to AO based LUN
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:12 am 

Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:11 pm
Posts: 510
Full, thin, dedupe, compress and deco are different volume type. I'm pretty sure moving between those are considered a convert and not tune. And last time I checked (a few years ago) you could not convert a volume with an active snapshot or in replication.

Edit:full and thin is possibly the same type.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group | DVGFX2 by: Matt