HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Tiered storage - How to use best
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:07 am 

Hello everyone,

i have some questions to tiered storage. We used until now a VPLEX with 2 VNX2, made one big pool over all 3 tiers and it worked "ok". No IOPS limitations for singleservers, only automated optimizations.

Now with the 3PAR we have most space on NL disks and a few upcoming servers with MSSQL on it that needs the best IOPS we can give them. So, how to setup best? Yes, pure SSDs would be the best but we need to look still at the costs.

So my questions are:
- Would it ok to setup 2 AO configs? One over all 3 tiers (balanced) and the other over FC+SSD (for a few high prio servers?)
- Would it work to place most Operating systems only on NL disks outside the AO part?

We are mostly on windows based OS, Hyper-V & VMWare. I dont know if it will work that the OS is on NL. We would make LUNS for logs and DBs on the balanced AO Stuff.

Problem is: We are only a few guys for a big bunch of virtuell servers (and 1000 other things) and until now we dont have time to look after each server. We have totally mixed servers. Some SQL, some webservers, some application server and so on.

Can someone perhaps give me some ideas to work with? ;)

Post subject: Re: Tiered storage - How to use best
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:50 pm 

I would create two CPGs (FC+SSD and one with all tiers) and I would put the OS in the second one.

Lets things settle and review output of IO region density reports to see whichs volumes are active, how much is stored where and look at performance of PDs compared to % full. If you have a low number of really big NL drives you will most likely not be able to fill them 100% before "they run out of IOPS".

With 3PAR I would focus on managing the big pictures and only focus on individual VMs when you have abnormalities. AO really does magic in many cases with virtualized environments.