HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: 3.3.1 Queries
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:55 am 

Having been away from 3par for quite a few years, we have POC tested, and installed a pair of 20850's. As part of the install, we have upgraded to 3.3.1 MU1, and I now see that the previously automated task for compactcpg that was always there in older versions is no longer automatically scheduled.
No biggie, as I can create a schedule etc ... but anyone know why it was removed ?.

Secondly, I was hoping that they would have sorted out the annoyance of not being able to rename a remotecopygroup. Do any of you know if this is still not possible, and if not, any ideas when/if they are planning to introduce it.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: 3.3.1 Queries
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:32 am 

pfwhufc wrote:
Having been away from 3par for quite a few years, we have POC tested, and installed a pair of 20850's. As part of the install, we have upgraded to 3.3.1 MU1, and I now see that the previously automated task for compactcpg that was always there in older versions is no longer automatically scheduled.
No biggie, as I can create a schedule etc ... but anyone know why it was removed ?.

Secondly, I was hoping that they would have sorted out the annoyance of not being able to rename a remotecopygroup. Do any of you know if this is still not possible, and if not, any ideas when/if they are planning to introduce it.

Thanks.

Compact CPG is automatically run with AO if configured to auto and a set of parameter is triggered. Compact CPG does add an extra workload on the system and in these flash days, add additional wear on the SSDs. And of course, as long as you plan to have some sort of growth, what is the need to compact a CPG just for it to grow again (unless you have 95% full array). You're just creating unnecessary backend IOPS for no gain. Wouldn't it be better just to have a server running IOmeter 24x7 instead if you want the load? :D ;) :) Just my $0.02

And I still don't think you are able to rename a remotecopygroup. You can create a new one with a new name and dismiss volumes from the old one with the -keepsnap option to prevent a full resync. How often do you need to rename a rcgroup? I would say that if you even rename it once, you're probably doing something wrong and if this is an ongoing issue I would really like to know why you are doing this. The only times I've heard this questions have been related to companies changing names or 3PARs being renamed.