HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: CPG set size after adding enclosure
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:24 am 

My DR site have a 7400 2 node with 3 disk enclosure. The storage have occupied all the disk slots in a total of 96 SAS disks. Currently my CPG settings is HA Cage with set size 3+1

I'm going to add a new disk enclosure with additional 12 disks. Do I need to change the Set Size to 4+1 and perform tunesys?

Post subject: Re: CPG set size after adding enclosure
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:21 am 

shang83 wrote:
My DR site have a 7400 2 node with 3 disk enclosure. The storage have occupied all the disk slots in a total of 96 SAS disks. Currently my CPG settings is HA Cage with set size 3+1

I'm going to add a new disk enclosure with additional 12 disks. Do I need to change the Set Size to 4+1 and perform tunesys?

You should not change your set size. If you change to 4+1 with HA Cage, you will only be able to create 12 stripes as you only have 12 disks in the final cage. This will prevent your from accessing half of your capacity in the first 4 cages.

You should run tunesys to spread the old data across the new drives to balance the load.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:02 am 

MammaGutt wrote:
shang83 wrote:

You should not change your set size. If you change to 4+1 with HA Cage, you will only be able to create 12 stripes as you only have 12 disks in the final cage. This will prevent your from accessing half of your capacity in the first 4 cages.

You should run tunesys to spread the old data across the new drives to balance the load.

If the CPG configured with HA cage, should it be if I have 1 controller with 4 disk enclosure, need to configure the set size to 4+1?

Or the set size configuration is only for the Disk drives.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:09 am 

Set size is actually on chunklet level.

If you change to 4+1 and only add half the number of disks in the 5th cage, the system will be unable to allocate more space once those 12 drives are full because you are unable to find free chunklets in 5 different cages.

The 3PAR Storage Concepts Guide has a somewhat decent explanation under Chunklets and Logical Disks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:40 am 

It's so a pity that 96 + 12 can't be entirely divided by (5 * 2)...
Else you could have moved some pairs of disks from the first 4 cages to the fifth one to get the same count of disk per cage...
14 new disks rather than 12 would have fit perfectly.

We usually proceed as follow:
move disk from cage 0 and even slot (slot 22 for example) to cage 4 even slot (14)
run showpd -degraded, only 1 drive is degraded
wait for 40 seconds to 1 minutes
run showpd -degraded, if it's still degraded wait a little bit more, if no disk is degraded then next step
move disk from cage 0 and odd slot (slot 23 for example) to cage 4 even slot (15)
And so on...

Once you get the same even count of disk per cage, we run tunesys -f -chunkpct 1 -nodepct 1 -maxtasks 2 (or more if the array is sleeping).

On a more than 2 nodes you have to be carefull to the target cage. Drives can be moved only between the cages attached to the same nodes pairs. On recent inform os (tested above 3.2.1), nothing bad will appen if you try to move disks between different nodes pairs : the disk stay degraded and if you run admithw you got a return about disk that can't be admitted.

So far it's not really supported by HPE... They prefer to sell bunch of disks :D