HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Port settings for direct attach ?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:11 pm 

Hi there,

Just trying to find out what port settings I should configure on the 3PAR for directly attached a HPE blade centre with FlexFabric modules.

Should the Host ports be Loop or point to point ?

Also the 3PAR is OK with multiple "virtual" WWPNs logging in via a host port ? (ala NPIV)

Thanks!

Mark

Post subject: Re: Port settings for direct attach ?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:48 am 

FC Cookbook for Virtual connect ( http://h20628.www2.hpe.com/km-ext/kmcsd ... 940-16.pdf ) has a detailed description on how to do it (called FlatSAN).

If my memory serves me right, you don't need to change from loop to point on 3PAR with 8k and 20k.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:13 am 

NPIV I've seen mentioned as a not supported feature on 3PAR, at least in a SAN attached config, not seen it mentioned differently in direct.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:10 pm 

ailean wrote:
NPIV I've seen mentioned as a not supported feature on 3PAR, at least in a SAN attached config, not seen it mentioned differently in direct.

Without having anything to back me up, that sounds wierd. Persistent Port uses NPIV to "logically" failover a physical port on the 3PAR to the partner port.

And when using FlexFabric with a SAN fabric, all it does is NPIV. Not sure what(if any) it does different in FlatSAN mode.

It would also indicate that Hyper-V virtual FC adapters are not support with direct attached servers.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:54 am 

It was NPIV at the host end I'd seen mentioned, PP certainly needs it at the array and SAN ends.
This may only be in relation to VMware hosts, there is a mention in the current VMware guide but no talk of support or not support in any of the other host guides I've checked. :roll: