HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: 3PAR 3.3.1 MU1 breaks RMC completely?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:00 pm 

Hello all,

I am hoping for someone with a similar setup or scenario to help me when (surprise!) support cannot.

We have been running RMC 3.x and 4.0 for months and months now without issue with two 3PAR arrays, one being a V400 and the other a 7450. They both ran 3.2.2 MU4 and worked fine with a storeonce device and RMC 3.x and 4.0. Immediately after upgrading both our arrays to 3.3.1 MU1 RMC stopped being able to communicate with the arrays. We tried ugprades to RMC 4.1, we tried fresh installs, etc, etc... nothing.

Anyone have any insight or advise? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: 3PAR 3.3.1 MU1 breaks RMC completely?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:02 am 

Hello,

Did you try to remove and then add your storage to RMC ?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:27 am 

Yes, we have tried removing and re-adding the arrays and have also tried a fresh install/setup of RMC and cannot add the arrays, we get:

Refresh failed.

The refresh call is used to sync the RMC database with the device. After refresh, RMC database is also updated.

It just refuses to add/communicate with our arrays. The only change that took place was 3PAR fw 3.3.1 MU1.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:03 pm 

Downgrade to 3.2.2???

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:39 pm 

Yeah, to try and schedule that with 3PAR support will take an act of god. I would hope when they say somethings compatible it would be. We have other tape backups running so we aren't at a huge risk but I guess I was hoping someone out there had a similar issue for a shoulder to cry on or maybe even a fix?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:28 am 

Maybe a stupid question but did you log a support case on the issue?
According to SPOCK this is supported and currently (one of.... Not that I would mention other backup systems) your backup system is totally down. That should get some attention.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:26 pm 

Yeah, first ticket entered via email over 3 weeks ago... still no reply.

Nearly two weeks ago I entered another ticket to other mail distribution lists while my co-worker entered one via the website. We both heard back within a few days and I followed up a few times with serial numbers, high-level recap of the issue, etc and they are suppose to get back to me... still nothing...

My co-worker got a little further and has been working with support. The tech does (IDK if this is a new thing?) a few BASIC, simple troubleshooting steps (lets refresh RMC cache, let's restart vcenter services, lets reboot RMC appliance, etc) and then after ~15 minutes of work he says hmm let me get back to you in a few days. Rinse and repeat... he is now considering escalating the issue... We'll see what comes of it...

Yeah they are aware we are down, even though as my co-worker talks to them they make comments like, "make sure no current backups are running before rescanning the HBA's". I am going on vacation and my co-worker will continue to attempt to work with them, but this is nothing new with 3PAR/HPE support. As you all know ~5 years ago or so things just went to absolute shit. I am better off talking to a wall...

Ok, well hopefully after my vacation I will return to some ideas or similar experiences. If not, I will hope and pray support gets around to it.

Thanks all!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:42 pm 

I would have your colleague ask the support guy to escalate, and do the same thru your sales channel (direct or thru partner). Ask them what they are willing to do if you need a restore tomorrow..... If there clearly isn't any outside factor other than a supported change (OS upgrade) and it broke the solution it's clearly that the person working on your case today isn't capable of or willing to solve the problem. Sounds like the best reason ever for asking for the next level of support.

Side note, sounds nice to log cases by email. They stopped accepting that here this year :(