HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Console menu and LTU's
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:11 am 

Hi ! I would really like to know if anyone can tell me anything about the 3par console menu, as I have been struggling with finding any info online.

The reason for this is, I work at a company where we sell refurbished IT equipment, and we have a customer who wants to know how many License To Use is activated on a HPe 3par 7400 that he wants to buy from us.

The machine is refurbished and configured from another company, so I cannot gain access to the machine through normal means, I.E all default passwords have been changed. The only one that seems to work is for the Console menu, and through there I can reset the whole system and run the OOTB procedure, and from what I have read online, at the end of the OOTB procedure the activated licenses will be displayed.

What I want to know is: If I reset the system through the console menu, do I then also delete any LTU's that might be activated on the machine ? Because then I don't have any idea on how to obtain any info regarding the LTU's, as the machine is out of warranty and our company would rather not be paying HPe-customer service for something we might be able to fix ourself.

Hope any experts out there can give me at least something ! :)

Post subject: Re: Console menu and LTU's
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:11 am 

Does the console menu allow running of CLI commands?

To view current license keys from CLI: showlicense -raw
Should show the licenses keys as:
XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

Or if you know the EON of the system you could associate the system with your account in https://myenterpriselicense.hpe.com/cwp-ui/ and then download the licenses.

Or perhaps create a pretty please ticket for 3PAR support to get the license file.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:16 pm 

I've done this twice before handing over decommed systems to brokers, but from what I recall every setting I checked was deleted.

Another thing to remember. 3PAR licenses are sold from HPE/HPE partner to the end user for a single system and is non-tranferable. In the EULA it is stated that the license are for your use and not for resale. Once I was involved in a company changing its name. HPE required at that time proof that the old company name and new company name was the same company for them to be allowed to transfer the licenses. What I remember from that time was that we were told that the only reason licenses could be transfered was that a company either changed name or was aquired by another company. Either way, proof was required.

What I'm trying to say that reselling old 3PARs with licenses might put the company you bought the system from and your company in a legal dispute.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:13 am 

Tar wrote:
Does the console menu allow running of CLI commands?.

No, unfortunatly not. As per my knowledge (which is limited to what I can read online), and my experiences so far, I am not able to run ANY commands in the console menu. I am only able to select from the menus. But if anyone out there knows how to run commands after Console-login, that would make my life a little bit easier. :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:16 am 

MammaGutt wrote:
I've done this twice before handing over decommed systems to brokers, but from what I recall every setting I checked was deleted.

So, what you are saying is that the licenses was deleted as well ?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:25 am 

Madsacre wrote:
MammaGutt wrote:

So, what you are saying is that the licenses was deleted as well ?

Not very helpful, but what I'm saying is that I don't remember or didn't check for exactly the licenses but I do remember that all settings I checked was cleared.