HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: is there a way of seeing if the 3par can contact NTP?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:17 am 

Is there a way i can test that the 3par could reach the NTP server if needed without just using setnet ntp?

Basically i have 2 3pars in a remote copy which 1 want to make sure they can talk to nt, but i need them to be on the same time, but they are at different sites, so ideally i'd like to test that the 3par can see the ntp server, then i'd apply the ntp server

Thanks

Post subject: Re: is there a way of seeing if the 3par can contact NTP?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:05 am 

There is a general lack of any network diagnostic tools on the array and SP, I think iscsi ports have a ping option but other then that it's all blind luck. Always makes updating the firewall/acl rules fun when adding services or HP(E) make their 6 month random change to the remote support methods. :?

If you have a physical SP on the same subnet I'd configure that first but I can't remember seeing any feedback there either for working or not.

Post subject: Re: is there a way of seeing if the 3par can contact NTP?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:38 pm 

We ended up logging a service request for finding out if NTP was actually working.

You could configure it and then see if the time drifts (it takes a week or so to drift by a second between nodes), that was our initial test to prove to HPE support NTP was not syncing ... they then had an engineer log in and run some of the underlying Linux commands (ntpq or something) who then told us why it was not sycning (always firewalls at fault here).