HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: data move from SAS CPG to SSD CPG
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:10 am 

Hi,

Customer has 3PAR 7400- 2 node and recently purchased HPE M6710 1.92TB SFF SSD enclosure. They would like to move production data from existing SAS CPG to SSD CPG. We have added Data optimization licenses (Adaptive & Dynamic), also 3PAR OS has upgraded to 3.2.2 MU4 version.

How can we move the data from SAS to SSD CPG online, customer cannot afford to have downtime. Any procedures/guidelines?

Regards, Tushar

Post subject: Re: data move from SAS CPG to SSD CPG
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:50 am 

Should just be able to select the Volume and do a Tune operation to move both the User & Copy Space from the SAS CPG to the SSD CPG online (you have to do it twice for each Volume, to move the User and Copy Space). The Dynamic Optimization license should enable this task.

The Adaptive license can allow you to move just the active blocks of the Volume to SSD and leave the more static blocks behind on SAS with a bit more planning/configuration.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:21 am 

Thanks for your response. However, just want to ask, what is the difference between CONVERT VOLUME and TUNE VOLUME. Can I use convert volume instead of tune volume in this case?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:37 am 

Convert is used to change the volume provisioning type.
e.g. from Fully provisioned to Thin etc.

Whereas tune is typically used to move the volume between one CPG and another, if a convert is needed to complete the process it will happen as part of the tune.
e.g. between a SAS CPG & a SSD CPG.

You want to do the latter.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:46 am 

Thank you!

I have few more queries as below -
1) When we tune SAS CPG to SSD CPG, exiting SAS CPG/volumes will be destroyed or remain as it is?
2) There are more than 30 volumes which needs to be moved, can I run tune processes for all volumes at one time or wise to run one tune process at a time? Storage performance is below 30% and does not have any heavy applications running.
3) Any estimates how much time it can take to tune for 3TB volume?

Regards, Tushar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:28 am 

1) When you Tune the Volume small blocks are copied to the new CPG, once all blocks are copied successfully it switches over transparently to the copy and deletes the old blocks. If it fails or task is stopped it just reverts to the old blocks I believe. The servers shouldn't notice this happening at all.

2) Been a while since done this in large scale but when I did I'd maybe select 10 Volumes when tuning the COPY (snapshot data) space, as typically smaller and maybe select 2-3 Volumes when tuning the USER (normal volume data) space, as typically larger. Just keep an eye on performance and if no one notices then select a larger group.

3) Very dependant on system and load, easiest way is to try it out on a test Volume. From what I remember selecting more Volumes went slower then single Volume but the combined load increased on the system, it maybe got noticeable when I tried 4-6 Volumes but that will vary per system.