HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: 3PAR OS 3.3.1 MU1 is released
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:21 am 

markinnz wrote:
Got to ask .. why do people ever want to upgrade the arrays themselves ?

Surely it's safer to have the vendor do it ... it goes wrong they are already there to handle the issue and get higher up assistance :-)

You've clearly never had a 3PAR upgrade go pants up.

My repeated resistance to this issue, is that I have. In more than one case, it's been a situation that was blatantly obvious, involving a mistake I would not have made. And conversations that go

"wait, did you see that error message"
"my notes don't say to read error message"
"yes but you're about to go and there's a big error on your screen"
"my notes here say go"
"do your notes mention the error at all? Shouldn't you look into it"
"notes say go, clicking now"

Even if you could get someone competent, and if I wasn't rolling around laughing at the statement of "higher up assistance", arranging this vendor takes weeks. If you have your own maintenance windows you need to work with on a specific day, you're probably out of luck, because they tell you when they are free, and if you try and ask for another day, you get just get pushed back a month or two.

And frankly even if none of the above was a problem, I'd aim to take the risk myself just to not have to deal with the language barrier, which is like pulling teeth.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:08 am 

Josh26 wrote:
markinnz wrote:

Surely it's safer to have the vendor do it ... it goes wrong they are already there to handle the issue and get higher up assistance :-)

My repeated resistance to this issue, is that I have. In more than one case, it's been a situation that was blatantly obvious, involving a mistake I would not have made. And conversations that go

"my notes here say go"

Even if you could get someone competent, and if I wasn't rolling around laughing at the statement of "higher up assistance", arranging this vendor takes weeks. If you have your own maintenance windows you need to work with on a specific day, you're probably out of luck, because they tell you when they are free, and if you try and ask for another day, you get just get pushed back a month or two.

And frankly even if none of the above was a problem, I'd aim to take the risk myself just to not have to deal with the language barrier, which is like pulling teeth.

Well said.

The above is why we handle our own firmware upgrades when possible. Have self-upgrades gone sideways? Yes, the worst I've dealt with was a boot SSD on a controller failing during the middle of an upgrade. Was support there for faulty component replacement? Yes, they were. However, working knowledge on non-currently shipping arrays was beyond their skill set and they spent 3-hours trying to figure out how to get the two controllers to talk to each other (HPE field tech on the phone with HPE support)....really? How they got stumped on how to connect a VSP to the two mgmt interfaces "off-line"....cross over cable didn't work between the two mgmt ports for some reason and a hub between the two nodes without connecting it to the network didn't work and they couldn't figure out why.

This kind of "support" is why I wish HP left 3Par support alone after the "merger".

Post subject: Re: 3PAR OS 3.3.1 is GA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:36 pm 

mitchellm3 wrote:
Are you running 8200/8400's or 8440/8450's?

HPE said the dedupe was a CPU process the 7200 was short on cores. They swapped them out with 7450's and that worked great.

i'm assuming HP or partner swapped out the 7200 controllers & left the existing chassis and swapped with 7450's, is that correct? I am interested in doing to same to a 7200 sandbox.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:54 am 

Back to 3.3.1:
In SP 5.0 "Self-Updates" are more enhanced and stable for the future.

I have got two 3.3.1 MU1 Updates done by HPE and did also two Updates (on new Systems) on my own.
All without any Problem.

If you have attend all the trainings and have a lot of experience you can do the Updates yourself.
If you have less experience, you should make the job rather HPE.

Did you change the Brakes on your Car by yourself?
It is allowed, you can do if you like.
But I would not recommend that everybody do that.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:48 am 

Hi,

today I did the update to 3.3.1MU1. What an exhausting job. Everything looks pretty good except admithw shows the following update requirement. But wont do the update.

Checking SAS HBA firmware...
4 Port(s) require firmware upgrades.
This will require approximately 6 minute(s).
Checking state of disks...

I have compared showport -i with the showversion -a and everything looks in order.

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:39 pm 

Morbid wrote:
mrnie wrote:
Can confirm that two new 8440's that left the factory approx 4 weeks ago was shipped with 3.2.2 EMU4, this config is using the new fc/ip combo adapters so they were not installed at the factory since that version is not compatibile to the new cards.

Upgraded to 3.3.1 MU1 + P07 + P11. Note: IMC is still allowing to connect but is ignoring the new ip ports.

Tested DR-failover (system power failure) while running multiple instances of Iometer in an agressive pattern - failed over with no issues = so far everything working nicely.

Our new 8400 also have 3.2.2 MU4, we asked for the upgrade today.

How much time does it take for you to have the upgrade ?

I requested the upgrade back in July and August, with assistance of our HPE rep it is finally getting pushed through this weekend. I'm curious why they wouldn't release the passwords even for our lab box, it is 'confidential' and requires HPE assistance so I'll watch them do it. Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:41 pm 

Josh26 wrote:
markinnz wrote:

"my notes here say go"

I hate to say it, but I've gotten similar from EMC remote support too. This is why I prefer to do test everything on my lab box prior to rolling into production. Even doing patch upgrades I still run the pre-checks instead of just blindly clicking "go" like my last remote engineer did.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:46 pm 

storsnapper wrote:
I'm curious why they wouldn't release the passwords even for our lab box, it is 'confidential' and requires HPE assistance so I'll watch them do it. Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly.

The answer there is that every one of these has the same hardcoded set of passwords, and your own environment is only secure from outside threats on the basis that HPE don't leak them.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:48 am 

oby wrote:
Hi,

today I did the update to 3.3.1MU1. What an exhausting job. Everything looks pretty good except admithw shows the following update requirement. But wont do the update.

Checking SAS HBA firmware...
4 Port(s) require firmware upgrades.
This will require approximately 6 minute(s).
Checking state of disks...

I have compared showport -i with the showversion -a and everything looks in order.

Any ideas?

Regarding HPE support, that's a cosmetic issue and will be fixed in a later release.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:23 pm 

3.3.1 is now showing on my portal;)

http://h30538.www3.hpe.com/prdownloads/3PAR_OS_3.3.1_EGA_Release_Notes_QL226-99604.pdf

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 19  Next