HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: 3PAR OS 3.3.1 MU1 is released
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:33 am 

Patrick wrote:
So much for customer upgradable...

Where did you see the suggestion that it would be customer upgradable?

I bring this up constantly, with our sales rep and our TAM, and I've only ever gotten a discussion about how releasing any documentation on the process would harm intellectual property, etc etc.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:05 pm 

HPEStorageGuy wrote:
lithion wrote:
Well. I still remember vmworld last year. HPE claimed to be the first storage vendor to support vvol replication from day 1. In the mean time vsphere 6.5 was released, but it took several months before 3.3.1 was even announced. Now we are almost a year later since vmworld and 3.3.1 is still not available for our boxes. I requested an upgrade, but they refused because the configuration of the boxes is too complex. Although there's nothing really special on them: 4 x volumes (2TB) and about 100 VM's on vvol.

I think your memory isn't quite 100% on this. I was at VMworld last year, and was in our vVol session that Eric Siebert did. I'm also at VMworld now (where we had a session talking about vVol replication). Last year we did not claim support for replication because it wasn't part of the VASA 2.0 provider that was available at that time. I have the slides from that session in 2016 and they specifically say that a drawback of vVols is that replication isn't supported yet. It was released this year with the VASA 3.0 provider.

I don't think there's anything wrong with my memory. Vvol replication was announced on vmworld (Europe) last year (you made a blog post about it) and during a HPE session they claimed they would support it from day one during QA.

I also would like to quote something from your blog:
Quote:
When VMware releases vSphere 6.5, you can expect existing HPE 3PAR StoreServ arrays to be ready on day one, as usual. HPE 3PAR StoreServ will fully support the new VVols capabilities including array based replication in an upcoming release of HPE 3PAR OS.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:22 am 

Hi guys.
Yesterday make self-upgrade to 3.3.1Mu1 with P07+P11.
Everything fine, except admithw showing that 2 port need to be upgraded. But nothing happens. I run admithw from cli and from SP (5.0).
Maybe you have any suggestions?
Tnx.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:49 am 

Where could i find a release note for P11 ?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:46 pm 

Josh26 wrote:
Patrick wrote:
So much for customer upgradable...

Where did you see the suggestion that it would be customer upgradable?

I bring this up constantly, with our sales rep and our TAM, and I've only ever gotten a discussion about how releasing any documentation on the process would harm intellectual property, etc etc.

When we were evaluating arrays years ago that was one of the selling points for us.

http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c04951014

With each GA release, HPE provides buried in the docs somewhere self-upgrade instructions.

HPEStorageGuy wrote:
3.3.1 is in "controlled release". I believe once it's made generally available, it will be customer upgradable.

A bit of feedback, when new revs are announced as available for arrays there is no mention that these releases are almost always "controlled releases" and no date is ever mentioned during these new rev announcements of when the code will actually reach true "general availability". Industry wide when vendors announce that products are available for use in production is a GA, not a controlled beta release. I know "beta" is harsh but when code can't be trusted in production for all customers that is what it is.

I'm hoping in the future when the Gen6 ASIC-based gear is released there will be less dependency on the 3par-sps group where customers can get access to and deploy code when it's actually announced as being available. The current patching between scheduling multiple arrays, the delays involved with upgrading because of scheduling conflicts, language barriers, and copy/paste script reading first level deployment staff it is very disheartening when compared with how 3Par support was years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:48 pm 

Patrick wrote:
When we were evaluating arrays years ago that was one of the selling points for us.

http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c04951014

I can't believe this document ever made it out the gate.

Document title: HPE 3PAR OS and SP Software Customer Self-Upgrade Instructions

On the first page...

If the 3PAR StoreServ Storage system is running 3PAR OS 3.1.2 or earlier, contact Hewlett Packard
Enterprise
Customers cannot upgrade their storage systems to 3PAR OS 3.3.1

So the document is for people already running 3.1.3, who want to upgrade, but not to 3.3.1 which is now old enough to have MU1 released?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:56 am 

They should probably add some sort of 'Early Release' or 'Guided Release' cycle to every GA version just to make it clear in the marketing rather then trying to hide the status internally. I'd do the same for each MU too just to avoid unseen issues being mass deployed by upgrade junkies. Once code has soaked in the open and upgrade scripts tuned for more varied configs open the customer upgrade gates.

Maybe throw in a disclosure form for early access for those with test kit.

But just making every release publicly installable on day one just sounds like a great way to kill a product. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:21 am 

Got to ask .. why do people ever want to upgrade the arrays themselves ?

Surely it's safer to have the vendor do it ... it goes wrong they are already there to handle the issue and get higher up assistance :-)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:22 am 

Because it's a pain in the ass to have vendors do that stuff...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:06 am 

We recently bought 4 20800 box, 1.5PB total with 3.84 SSD. We asked to start directly with 3.3.1, we didn't want to overlap migration process and FW-upgrade, after some time we ware able to get 3.3.1 P1,P2,P4.
We are migrating VMs via SVM, so far no problem at all.
Huge performance improvement (we came from traditional, non hybrid, EMC VMAX) and better space savings.
We noted a real plus in the efficiency of the thin provisioning with VMFS LUNS, usually we had 2TB LUNs 80% filled VMWare Level, 50% full VMAX Level.
The same VMs migrated to a 8TB 3PARLUN 80%full (VMWare) get written to disk at max 25%.

We have Dedupe active for all the VMWare datastores, compression is off at the momnent.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 19  Next