HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Help! Can't delete virtual volume it claims child snapshot?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:18 am 

I have a 7450 with thin dedupe on and a mix of vmfs5 virtual volumes and new vCenter 6 VVOLs. I am running out of space and need to delete old virtual volumes to make room. I have/had a virtual copy scheduled daily set to expire after 15 days. When I delete the virtual volume it takes awhile but says the virtual copies were deleted but refuses (even after retries) to delete the base virtual volume. It claims i cannot because it has child snapshots but in CLI, IMC and SSMC i cannot see ANY trace of snapshots still existing?!

Any thoughts or ideas?

EDIT: I should mention i am on 3.2.2 with the latest SP firmware also. I am primarily using IMC 4.7.0 but as mentioned have tried CLI and SSMC too. The array doesnt appear to be processing any tasks (via showtask) but it acts like its slowly processing requests? For example the first few deletes took but then it slowly started to error out. Eventually all volumes were erroring out. I tried a compact CPG during this (again no tasks shown running) and it said it couldnt compact CPG because a delete of a volume was running? It was not however... or never finished/showed a task/errored out beyond the immediate, initial error listed above.

Post subject: Re: Help! Can't delete virtual volume it claims child snaps
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:01 pm 

UPDATE:

So support had me run: setclienv showsysobjs 1. This allows me to see hidden snapshots (but you can only run showvv, not showvv on a specific vm)

Once I did this i was able to see hidden snapshots, delete them, then delete the base. However I still have questions though... He stated Veeam, Storeonce, 3rd party tools could do this... but we use none. We only use built-in schedule jobs to do virtual copies? We also appear to only have the issue on volumes we did a schedule on and the numbering convention seems to match up and make sense? So is virtual copy having a known bug/issue? Why did it create a RO snapshot hidden when we only schedule built-in virtual copies, with different names, and RW?

Anyway, if anyone else runs into the problem this is what fixed it.... I am still not sure root cause....

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:46 am 

I ran into the same issue. Here are the commands again:

You cant see any hidden snapshots yet:
Code:
STRZ1001 cli% showvv

After this command, the hidden snapshots are visible:
Code:
STRZ1001 cli% setclienv showsysobjs 1
STRZ1001 cli% showvv

This is how to remove the snapshots:
Code:
STRZ1001 cli%  removevv .syssv_VV_VMW_RZ1_DS02.2.1
Removing vv .syssv_VV_VMW_RZ1_DS02.2.1
select q=quit y=yes n=no: y
STRZ1001 cli% showvv

At some point, i ran into following error:
Quote:
STRZ2001 cli% removevv .syssv_Veeam_VV_VMW_RZ2_.1
Removing vv .syssv_Veeam_VV_VMW_RZ2_.1
select q=quit y=yes n=no: y
Could not remove vv, retry after read-only parent's (.ssr_0.syssv_VV_VMW_RZ2_DS) removal has completed.

Sadly, the full name of the parent snapshot is cut. i tried to run the same command again, but got the same error message. After a failed google search (like most 3par related searches for errors) i tried it one more time and it worked. About 20 minutes passed as far as i can remember.

Regards,
Mario

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:22 am 

Thanks guy´s This made my day :D