HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: adding new VV to existing VVset
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:47 am 

Hello everyone.

I have a quick question. We have an existing vvset that is exported to our ESXi hosts. Its made up of a 750GB thick VV, and a 10TB thin vv. I'm creating a new NL vv to export to the same hosts. Is adding it to the existing vvset problematic in anyway? Will it cause any issues?

Post subject: Re: adding new VV to existing VVset
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:42 am 

First you should not export vvsets, it is problematic in the long term. Best way is to export volumes to host sets. We are still trying to clan up legacy messes from exporting vvsets.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:58 pm 

Thanks. I'm taking over this array and the two HP classes I took didn't go into some of this stuff very deeply at all. I've exported my new vv to the same host set as the old one vv, but that was made into a vvset then exported.

If I may ask why is it problematic?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:18 am 

When you add a vv to a vvset and that vvset is exported it wants to get the same exact LUN IDs for every host it is exported to. Also last I tried this (back prior to 3.1.3) it also wanted it to be the next sequentially available LUN ID. That is not always avails and in some situation where you have multiple exported VVs o VVsets the LUN ID it wants may not be available or may not be available on all the hoist and thus it will not allow you to export that added volume. Also if you are not careful on how you unexport volumes you can easily accidentally unexport the entire vvset which may not be what you intended to do. It all comes down to how complex your environment is. And while it may not be complex today if it becomes complex in the future then exported vvsets can be a mess.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:08 am 

hdtvguy wrote:
When you add a vv to a vvset and that vvset is exported it wants to get the same exact LUN IDs for every host it is exported to. Also last I tried this (back prior to 3.1.3) it also wanted it to be the next sequentially available LUN ID. That is not always avails and in some situation where you have multiple exported VVs o VVsets the LUN ID it wants may not be available or may not be available on all the hoist and thus it will not allow you to export that added volume. Also if you are not careful on how you unexport volumes you can easily accidentally unexport the entire vvset which may not be what you intended to do. It all comes down to how complex your environment is. And while it may not be complex today if it becomes complex in the future then exported vvsets can be a mess.

I cannot tell you how many times I saw this in my previous role supporting customers.. one wrong click and you just unexported the whole vvset.. well really a couple since it asks you multiple times ;)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:39 am 

Thanks for the info gents. Maybe it will help me from shutting the company down. :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:25 am 

Not a fan of volume sets for the reasons mentioned above, the sequential lun ids catches people out and is a good enough reason not to bother with them.