HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: System Reporter "Upgrade"
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:56 pm 

I'm trying to upgrade my System Reporter from version 3.1 to 3.1 MU3 as recommended by HP prior to upgrading my arrays from 3.1.3 MU1 to 3.2.1 MU2. I've upgraded the CLI using the version provided with the System Reporter iso which worked fine. Running the installer.exe (Windows 2008 R2) does NOT recognize the existing install as it should as indicated on page 44 of the accompanying documentation under the section "Installing or Upgrading HP 3PAR System Reporter Tools on Windows". I don't wish to continue for fear this will assume a new install which could potentially corrupt or destroy my existing MySQL DB hosted on a separate VM.

Has anyone run into a similar problem?

I've noticed there is no item listed in Add/Remove programs for the existing install. I'm not sure if this is normal or not given the System Reporter could simply be a collection of cgi-bin or other scripts running in Apache.

Post subject: Re: System Reporter "Upgrade"
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:35 pm 

Hi,

I've recently experienced the OS upgrade from 3.1.2 to 3.2.1 MU2 P7,10,11 and although IMC and CLI had to be upgraded (the old versions did not work after upgrade), I left the 3PAR Reporter in the current version: 3.1 MU1 P01.
So far I have not observed any issues.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:48 pm 

MikoM,

Thanks for the information. That's good to know. I do, however, want to find an answer to the upgrade issue because I'll need to do it at some point anyhow and this appears to be a bug with their installer. Either that or the person who installed this for me originally did it in way that was not consistent with the installer.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:52 am 

So after waiting to hear back from HP on this, not hearing anything and needing to move forward I stepped through all the prompts by the installer. The prompts appeared to populate based on original values and this seems to have worked. The reason I pushed forward was I noticed my reports stopped populating data since last Wednesday when I first started this upgrade. After reviewing the logs I see the System Reporter could no longer find the 3PAR CLI. Since the current version of System Reporter was configured to use the previous CLI and the first step of the upgrade to the new System Reporter asks you to install the new, included CLI, and this in turn recommends uninstalling the previous CLI... you see where this is going? The end result was breaking the current System Reporter. ( Well, in all fairness, it also assumes you are going to complete the install of the new System Reporter, so if you can't do that in one sitting, expect things to break! )

Now that I've installed the new System Reporter, it appears to be working, but I've opened a case with HP to help me review the install logs because there seems to problems relating to not being able to find the original CLI during the pre-processing of the upgrade. Things like this make me nervous. Especially when they relate to the integrity of the back-end database. I'd rather not assume things are ok since these types of issues usually come back to bite you later.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:55 pm 

Got off the phone with HP 3PAR support for the System Reporter. We validated my install was working properly and discussed the issues I ran into since I had one more System Reporter to upgrade at another location. The root of the problem is the fact HP "re-branded" the install for the CLI and changed the default path for the install from C:\Program Files (x86)\3PAR\... to C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\...

For the second install, I did the following:
- Stopped the System Reporter sampler and Apache2.2 services
- Uninstalled the old CLI
- Installed the supplied CLI
- Modified the following three files to reflect the new CLI path: (C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP 3PAR CLI\bin\cli.exe)
- C:\Program Files (x86)\3PAR\System Reporter\sampleloop_config
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\cgi-bin\3par-policy\config
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\cgi-bin\3par-rpts\config
Note: The path in the config files needs '\' changed to '/'
- Ran new System Reporter installer.exe
- This time there was an 'Upgrade' button presented. Chose this.

Everything ran much more smoothly this time.

Hopefully this information helps others avoid this problem.