HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Performance Testing
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:21 pm 

Hello guys, I will be working on a customer engagement to implement 3PAR 7200 and at the end of the project, I need to perform “Performance testing” as per proposal and show to customer.

Can you advise what can I do as part of this activity? Just show number of IOPS system can service? If yes, where can I see total number of IOPS HP 3PAR can serve?

Regards,

Post subject: Re: Performance Testing
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:35 pm 

Without reading the RFP to which you are responding, it's really hard to say what specific type of performance testing will be required.

That being said, it sounds like the customer has put forth a bid requiring certain levels of performance (IOPS? Latency? Throughput? The specific performance metrics should be stated in the bid), and when the system is installed, the installing vendor will be required to document that the system as installed meets the performance specs.

In that case, the installing technician should use iometer or the like to simulate a load and measure and document array performance.

Just be careful using iometer, it's a common mistake to under-load the array using IOmeter and not get correct numbers. If you search the forums, you'll find a bunch of threads on this specific topic with specific iometer configuration recommendations.