HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: HP 3PAR StoreServ Management Console
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:00 am 

It’s now released and can be downloaded here: https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdep ... MC_CONSOLE

Post subject: Re: HP 3PAR StoreServ Management Console
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:11 pm 

Perhaps I'm dense, but I can't seem to find the compatibility information in SPOCK.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:48 pm 

Not sure it's up on SPOCK yet, take a look at the release note here for compatibility info.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/publ ... =c04517741

Rest of the documentation here
http://h17007.www1.hp.com/us/en/storage ... index.aspx

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:01 pm 

What I find annoying and very inconvenient: once console loses connection to 3PAR it doesn't re-connect automatically. You need to log into admin console and manually reconnect each array from Action menu.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:27 am 

I have been playing with the new console for a week and have mixed reviews. Overall good attempt, but misses the mark in several areas. Too much wasted screen real estate, never seems to have the info info I am looking for on the left pane forcing us to select numerous volumes one at a time to see details. Honestly if the old IMC were not so slow and unreliable I am way more productive in it than the SSMC.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:59 pm 

Remember its a first release and not intended to fully replace IMC just yet ! Plenty more on its way in the coming months, interestingly the interface layout was created from 3PAR customer feedback and some of that feedback was around information overload in IMC :-)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:48 am 

I understand this is a early product, but the UI is defined by HP in general, the contents in the UI is 3par and wasted real estate is wasted real estate, regardless. I don't see how this UI addresses "IMC overload as this UI has far more info sparsely spread out, just not the info I fine relative to my use. Many product, not just HP, are headed to these "pretty" looking metro like displays where things present nice, but I feel waste real estates and are more show than substance on the surface and require more interaction to get at the real substance. VMwares Web interface is another examples of forcing people to click more into menus than the console it replaced.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:38 am 

WOW the more I use the new SSMC the more I dislike it. I thought vmware caught some crap for their web UI, the 3par web ui is very wasteful in real estate. Yes some of it is due to the HP common UI, but the panes waste so much real estate and I have to click so much more to see the things I saw easily in the IMC. What happened to the days of good UI testing, now it is all about how things "look" to impress executives and new customers vs. the real end user of the product.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:29 am 

Wondering how many people have been trying to actively use the new SSMC? We have been trying for several weeks now and find it good in some areas, but lacking in many areas. Still very much an immature product. I have 7 arrays and need to give it 12GB of RAM and 4-6 CPUs to avoid it exhausting resources and becoming non-functional. Also the tremendous underutilized and inefficient use of screen real estate is frustrating. Many task that were straight forward and easy to do in the IMC are down right painful in the SSMC. Personally I wish they would have fixed many of the issues with the IMC as we are far more productive with it than the SSMC. And yes I know there are more versions coming, but the framework is laid so I don;t see sme of the basic issues being resolved.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:19 pm 

what frustrates me most is that to use the reporting engine, it is a requirement to use the en-us locale.

its not standard on our servers, since we are ... guess what, not located in the U.S.A

I like the search functionality, it makes finding stuff easier, and i can imagine when vmware vvols comes around it'll be even easier.

I had alot of issues with IMC (4.6.2 i believe) where it would take... 5-6 minutes just to load the array information, the SSMC has the information loaded.