HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Space relcaim
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:20 am 

Hi,

I just try the space reclaim on a vv that was 80% allocated in the 3PAR (160GB out of 200) and everything went fine. Now the used user size is 35% but the reserved use size if 134GB witch is not 35%...

What am I missing? The reserved user size should not drop around 73GB that is near 35% ?

Regards,

Post subject: Re: Space relcaim
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:38 pm 

Give it time, can take a couple of days from memory to happen.

Could try compacting to speed it along?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:46 pm 

I can try compaq cgp, but I've never used it yet (I'm using 3Par since a couple of weeks only). I can be run live? We don't have a big workload on this VV and on the others ones...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:36 pm 

If you're not willing to wait or you've fragmented the space with constant writes and deletes then you can force a real time defrag of the reserved space by converting the thin volume to a thick volume and then back to thin. It works, but to test it properly you have to understand how the process works which most people don't do initially and means they spend a lot of time inadvertently fragmenting space before they begin the test proper.

Once you've recovered the space your best bet is to just let the system run instead of trying to track and reclaim every last GB on an hourly or daily basis, over time the system will sort itself out. If you're really focused on tracking every last GB or have volumes thrashing space that causes large reserves, then you either don't have enough headroom in the system or your volume may not really be suitable for thin volumes, so go thick for those and feel safe.

Sorry not aimed at anyone in particular but : - is there value in some of these space reclaim questions and answers being made sticky in the forum ????

HP now have quite a few whitepapers available on this and there are multiple posts that cover the process at a pretty low level maybe start linking to them or create a consolidated post.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:48 am 

I suspect you got this solved but here is a command that´s nice to remember.

compactcpg -dr -pat *

You can use * or CPG-name. It will perform a dry run of compact cpg and show you how much space that would be reclaimed.